You can only read “Good night, Moon” or “Dr. Seuss’s ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book” so many times before you are ready for something new, and a bit more engaging. From newborns to toddlers, these are five really good books that teach positive messages:
1. You are Special by Max Lucado—Punchinello is a little wooden person who believes he isn’t good enough or talented enough. The Wemmicks—the name of the little wooden people—go around sticking stars and dots on one another. If you’re talented, you get stars. If you mess up, you get dots. In the end, Punchinello learns that he is special just as he is, regardless of what others say, and that’s a message I want to pass on to my little one.
2. God’s Dream by Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Desmund Carlton Abrams—This book teaches a message of peace and hope, and encourages children to love one another—even if they come from different lands and have different skin colors. Messages about sharing with one another, loving one another, and caring for one another are taught within the book.
3. Free As a Leelee Bird: A Story of Forgiveness by Aimee Perry—This book currently comes in Kindle format only, but teaches a wonderful message about the power of forgiveness. Leelee, the young girl in the book, walks through the emotions of feeling like a friend no longer loves her and learns the benefits of living a life of forgiveness.
4. The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving by Jan Berenstain—This book teaches the joy of giving during the Christmas season, and sends a great message to little ones about the importance of being generous to others.
5. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister—This book is an international bestseller and many of you will remember it from your own childhood. “The Rainbow Fish” tells the story of a fish who learns to make friends by sharing his beautiful and glistening scales. It sends a wonderful message about the power of sharing and friendship. Plus, the foil stamping is eye-catching for babies and helps keep the attention of toddlers.
Don’t worry that your newborn or toddler is too young to understand the message portrayed in these books; it’s great to lay a positive foundation from the beginning. Plus, these books ’powerful messages are great reminders for mom and dad, too!
By Holly M.